Skip over navigation|

Home / Children and Young People / Private fostering


Private Fostering

child with carer

Do you know if you are being privately fostered?
Private fostering is an agreement that has been made between your parent, and the person who is, or will be looking after you. You may even have been involved in this decision yourself.

You, your parent, the person you are living with or the person you have told must telephone 01782 235100 to tell them of this arrangement. Someone will then come to visit you who will want to make sure you are safe, happy and well cared for.

There are all sorts of reasons why you might not be living at home such as:

  • your parent may be ill, in hospital and unable to look after you
  • you may have had an argument and gone to stay with someone other than a member of your family.

If you have been living away from home for more than 28 days, this is called Private Fostering.  If you have been living with someone who is not a close family relation, then your parent or the person you are living with must tell someone. You are very important in all of this, and so you could tell someone yourself. This could be your teacher, mentor, GP, school nurse or any adult you feel you can trust or telephone 01782 235100.

It is important that you feel safe, that you are happy with the person you are living with, and that you know how long you are likely to be living there

What happens next?
If you are being privately fostered, someone will need to visit you at the place where you are living. They will make sure that you are happy and being well cared for, and that it is okay for you to stay there, until you can go back home.

Related Files:

Safeguarding Children logo