Safer Sleeping Campaign
The Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire Safeguarding Children Boards have jointly run a campaign to raise the awareness of the risks to babies who are co-sleeping with parents. Click here to view the campaign literature.
Unfortunately there have been an increased number of deaths in Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent as a result of parents co-sleeping with babies in a bed when they have drunk alcohol, are smokers or have taken any drugs. It is especially dangerous to share a sofa or armchair and fall asleep with your baby.
In order to raise awareness of the issues surrounding co-sleeping the Staffordshire and Stoke-On-Trent Safeguarding Children Boards have worked together with a number of agencies to promote a clear message to help parents reduce the risk of SIDS. The dangers have been captured in a poster and leaflet, influenced by focus groups such as those who access services at Gingerbread in Stoke-On-Trent. The documents are available at:
If you need further advice about the safest place for your baby to sleep please speak to a midwife or health visitor.
Sources of Family Support
The Lullaby Trust - Offers confidential support to family, friends and carers affected by the sudden and unexpected death of a baby or toddler:
Tel: 0808 802 6868, email@example.com Calls to the Helpline are free from all landlines and most mobile phone networks. The Helpline is open: Monday - Friday 10am-5pm Weekends and public holidays 6pm-10pm (answered by trained befrienders, all with personal experience of bereavement). The Helpline does not offer a formal counselling service but rather the opportunity to talk freely, for as long as required, with a sympathetic and understanding listener.
They can also offer support through their team of befrienders. Befrienders are themselves bereaved parents, grandparents and other relatives, who offer personal support which can be arranged via the Helpline.
Sudden Unexplained Death in Childhood (SUDC) - For those whose child was over the age of one year.
- Child Death Helpline - For anyone affected by the death of a child of any age from any cause. Telephone: 0800 282 986
- SANDS - Support after neonatal death or stillbirth. Telephone: 020 7436 5881
- Winston's Wish Helpline - Help and advice in supporting a bereaved child. Telephone: 08452 03 04 05
- BLISS - Support, including after bereavement, for the family of a premature baby. Telephone: 0500 618 140
- Saying Goodbye - National remembrance services. Telephone: 08707 449 701
- CRUSE Bereavement Care - Helpline available (09:30-17:30 (19:00 Mon and Wed). Number of branches available. Telephone: 0121 687 801
- Nappy Sacks Danger poster
- UNICEF - Baby friendly initiative statement on bed sharing
- Lullaby Trust (includes information on ‘safer sleep/safe baby care’)
- Further information is available on the Resources page of this website.