Skip over navigation|

Abusive Relationships

two boys

Contact telephone numbers
The number to call if you are worried about a child or young person and think they may be the victim of neglect or abuse:

  • If you or a child is in immediate danger telephone 999
  • If you or a child is at risk of significant harm contact the Safeguarding Referral Team Telephone 01782 235100
  • email

You can call someone in Stoke-on-Trent to help if you are worried about a child or young person and think they may be a victim of neglect or abuse

  • Advice and Access Team Telephone 01782 232200
  • email
  • Emergency Duty Team - 01782 234234 (After 5pm)

Abusive relationships don’t just happen to adults. Young people can experience abusive behaviour from their boyfriend or girlfriend, in mixed sex or same sex relationships.

Abusive behaviour can be:

  • physical (hitting, kicking, slapping)
  • emotional (humiliating you, continually shouting at you or putting you down)
  • sexual (forcing you to do sexual acts you don’t want to do)

Some warning signs of are:

  • extreme jealousy
  • angry when you want to spend time with your friends
  • keeping you away from friends and family
  • trying to control your life – how you dress, who you hang out with and what you say
  • threatening to harm you or to harm themselves if you leave them
  • controlling you by demanding to know where you are all the time
  • monitoring your calls and emails
  • excessive drinking of alcohol or drug use
  • violent outbursts of anger
  • pressuring you to send them sexual texts or images of yourself

Resources and Useful Websites:

Grange Park Sexual Assault Referral Centre - is a centre that provides support services to men, women and children living in Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire, who have been raped or sexually assaulted.

At Grange Park you can access a range of services that are free and confidential.
For more information on Grange Park and the services offered, please visit:
Contact Grange Park by calling 0300 7900 166 by emailing

Broken Rainbow provides support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people experiencing domestic abuse. It also runs a helpline for anyone experiencing homophobic, transphobic or abuse within a same sex relationship. Please call 0800 999 5428

Rape Crisis offers a range of services for women and girls who may have been raped or who have experienced another form of sexual violence. Please click on the link for more information, advice or to find your nearest Rape Crisis Centre. Alternatively, to contact the National Sexual Violence Helpline, please call 0808 802 9999

Respect phoneline: For any young person who recognises that they are abusive within their relationship, help and support can be found on the website, or by calling 0808 802 4040

Thinkuknow offers advice to young people on sex, relationships and the internet. It also provides up-to-date information to help young people develop the skills they need to make sure they stay safe and are happy in the decisions they are making.

Domestic abuse is when one adult hurts or bullies another adult who is or was their partner, or who is in the same family. Domestic abuse can happen between people who are boyfriend and girlfriend or people who are married.

Some examples of domestic abuse are:

  • hitting, pushing, kicking, punching
  • saying things to frighten the other person or make them feel bad about themselves
  • making someone do sexual things that they don’t want to do
  • taking away the other person’s money, or not letting them get a job so that the victim can’t afford to get out of the relationship

If this is happening in your family, remember that you are not alone. Domestic abuse happens in many families and there are people that can help you and your family. You won’t get into trouble for telling someone. Everyone has the right to be and feel safe.

Keeping Safe
If there is domestic abuse in your home, then it’s important that you keep yourself safe when there’s an argument or a fight. You might feel like you have to stop what’s going on and protect the parent/person who’s being hurt, but this can be very dangerous and puts you at risk of getting hurt too.

If you are scared when there’s an argument or a fight, you can call 999 and ask for the police – they will come to your house at any time of the day or night.

It’s helpful if you can tell a friend or an adult that you trust about the domestic abuse at home. If you don’t feel you can talk to someone that you know, then there are lots of other people who can help.

You can call a national helpline number (free of charge)

  • NSPCC Helpline – 0808 800 5000
  • Child line – 0800 1111

There is also useful information on various website:-

Related Files:

Safeguarding Children logo