Skip over navigation|

Home / Adults / Concerned about a child / What should you do?


What should you do?

Contact telephone numbers

The number to call if you are worried about a child or young person and think they may be the victim of neglect or abuse:

If you think a child or young person is in immediate danger telephone 999

If a child or young person is at risk of significant harm contact the
     Safeguarding Referral Team Telephone 01782 235100

You can call someone in Stoke-on-Trent to help if you are worried about a child or young person and think they may be a victim of neglect or abuse
     Advice and Access Team Telephone 01782 232200

Emergency Duty Team - 01782 234234 (After 5pm)

Concerned about a child - What should you do?

  • Listen to the child.
  • Take what the child says seriously, children rarely lie about being abused.
  • Act fast.
  • Share your worries with Children's Services, Vulnerable Children and Vulnerable Adults Division, the Police or the NSPCC – they are there to help you.
  • Continue to offer the child support.


  • Put it off.
  • Press the child for explanations.
  • Leave it to someone else to help the child.
  • Be afraid to voice your concerns, the child may need urgent protection and help.
  • Tell the parents if sexual abuse is suspected.


Any child anywhere can be abused at any time. Disabled children are especially vulnerable. Child abuse can be committed by anyone – adults or children. Please see the link below to download an information leaflet on protecting children and young people.

What will happen?

The person you speak to will take your concerns very seriously and refer your case to a social worker trained in Child Protection who will contact you. Whatever you say will be treated in confidence. The social worker will check whether the family is known to the service already and will discuss the case with a manager.

Enquires often begin by asking other people in contact with the child, such as teachers, health visitors or doctors, to see if they have any concerns about the child too. In most cases there will be a discussion between the social worker, the parents and the child. Sometimes it soon becomes clear that there is nothing to worry about, but if concern remains about the welfare of the child, the formal Child Protection Enquiry procedures will begin immediately. This work is highly confidential, you may not be kept informed as the enquiry continues, but your alertness will have been the important first step in protecting the child or young person.

A Safeguarding Children Board leaflet no. 3 "Protecting children and young
people is your responsibility too.  What can you do?"
is available by clicking on the link.

 Adobe - To view this document you will need a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. To download a free copy go to See the latest updates

See the latest updates

Don't forget when you're looking at our website to refresh your pages to make sure you're seeing the latest updates of information and support. Just click your control key and the refresh button on your computer at the same time to refresh the web page you are looking at.

Safeguarding Children logo